Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John A. Martin has confirmed that Maryland online sports betting will officially go live in the state on Wednesday, November 23.
The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) met on Wednesday, 16 November to approve the licences of ten operators ahead of a possible launch before Thanksgiving (November 24).
All ten operators received approval for a Maryland online sports betting licence. They are:
- BetRivers Sportsbook (Arundel Amusements DBA Bingo World)
- BetMGM Sportsbook (BetMGM Maryland Sports LLC)
- DraftKings Sportsbook (Crown MD Online Gaming LLC)
- Caesars Sportsbook (CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity LLC / Horseshoe Casino Baltimore)
- BetParx Sportsbook (Greenmount OTB LLC)
- Betfred Sportsbook (Long Shot’s LLC)
- Fanatics Sportsbook (Maryland Stadium Sub LLC / Washington Commanders)
- Barstool Sportsbook (PENN Maryland OSB LLC / Hollywood Casino Perryville)
- FanDuel Sportsbook (PPE Maryland Mobile LLC / Live! Casino and Hotel)
- PointsBet Sportsbook (Riverboat on the Potomac)
The ten operators didn’t have to wait long to find out when they could go live in Maryland, as a decision on the launch of online sports betting was made yesterday.
“Maryland Lottery Director John A. Martin says Maryland online sports betting launch will commence on Wednesday, November 23,” wrote XL Media Editor Robert Linnehan on his personal Twitter account on Thursday, November 17.
“Launch time has yet to be determined.”
However, only seven of the ten approved operators are actually set to go live on the November 23 launch date.
Linnehan added: “Martin says Longshots, Greenmount OTB, and Washington Commanders have informed the lottery that they will not be ready to launch next week.
“The remaining seven operators will be eligible to launch on November 23 if they successfully complete their controlled demonstrations.”
Controlled demonstrations of a sportsbook’s systems and procedures involve accepting wagers at specific dates and times approved by Maryland Lottery and Gaming.