The Irish National Lottery will name a winner for the first time in seven months on Saturday after a plea from the operator was accepted by the lottery’s regulator.
As reported by the Irish Times, one or more players will win the €19m maximum jackpot this weekend after the Office of the Lottery regulator accepted a request from Premier Lotteries Ireland to host a must-be won draw.
Additionally, the must-be won format will continue in the future, with new rules stating that the jackpot must be won within five rollovers after the maximum jackpot of €19m has been reached.
Initially, Carol Boate from the regulator told the Irish Times that ‘additional information was required’ therefore delaying any concrete decision.
However, a National Lottery spokesperson has told the outlet that the must-win draw will take place this weekend, adding that the lottery is ‘delighted’ with the outcome.
The spokesperson said: “We know that most of our Lotto players would like to see the €19m jackpot won, so we are delighted to be able to make this announcement.”
The Irish National Lottery top jackpot has not been won since June 2021 and has rolled over 62 times since then.
Under Irish gambling laws, the jackpot cannot exceed €19m, meaning that the jackpot has not increased since September, drawing criticism from politicians.
In December, the CEO of Premier Lotteries Ireland, Andrew Algeo, stated that a must-win draw “would ensure that such an improbable long wait for a capped jackpot win cannot occur again”.
The National Lottery spokesperson added: “While this current Lotto jackpot rollover is truly unprecedented, and has generated so much excitement and participation in the Lotto game, the National Lottery is now pleased to announce that this ‘will be won’ event will take place.
“In addition, the National Lottery will operate the same ‘will be won’ event going forward, with Lotto jackpots guaranteed to be won no more than five draws after the cap has been reached.”